Monday, October 25, 2010

Study Hall

So now I am primed and ready to dive into the Shobogenzo. Not only have I read all the preamble, which itself clocks in at almost a hundred pages, but I also took the opportunity provided by having Kaz in the building on Friday night, at the reception for his new art show, to have him sign my copy. Having rendered my name in kanji (beautifully, it goes without saying), he wrote "enjoy your enlightenment". I fully intend to give it a shot.
I am not promising that I am going to read the Shobogenzo straight through, though I would like to try, and I am definitely not promising not to wander off and read other things in the meantime, but we'll see what happens. I can promise to keep you posted.
By the way, if you have $500 to spare, assuming you have already sprung for the book at $150, I would recommend that you buy one of the pieces in the show, as they are all amazing. Better still, lend me $500, and I will buy one to add to my burden of riches.

No comments: