Monday, October 4, 2010

Study Hall

A final excerpt from 'Taking Our Places', not least because it corroborates something I asserted here a few months ago: "One friend who practices Zen with me studied a long time ago with Suzuki Roshi. He told me: 'I came to Zen Center just a few months before Suzuki Roshi's illness. But in those few months I made such a strong connection because I felt so completely met by him. No one else in my life, before or since, has ever met me that thoroughly. He seemed to be always ready and waiting for me in every encounter - wide open, yet unassuming and quiet. It touched me deeply'. I have heard this comment from many other people who practiced Zen with Suzuki Roshi. So many of them still think of him almost every day and feel as if in some strange way he is continuing to meet them even now".

No comments: