Saturday, December 31, 2011

Taking Stock

'Tis the season to be reflective, something I am rarely immune from anyway, though the change of year gives us more currency for our thoughts. While I have no complaints about my practice life, and I appreciate how the role that I have has kept me working hard, and helped me stay focused, and while I have really enjoyed getting to be a part of Young Urban Zen this year as a new and fulfilling challenge, other parts of my life have felt barren and unsatisfied in the last couple of years, and I allow this to stop me from feeling completely settled or at peace where I am. I am hoping that 2012 will be different - and I know that an internal shift would be beneficial in this regard, but I haven't been able to find a way to bring this about. Being at Tassajara helps me to see that slowing down and having the ability to appreciate each thing that presents itself is key, so perhaps I just need to work on having this same outlook in the city.
I wish you all a year that is peaceful and harmonious, stable and free from calamity, and may we practise joyfully together with all beings.

Clearer skies this morning

6 comments:

Eli said...

Shundo- Maybe in 2012, instead of an internal shift, an allowance of settling. It seems like, when you are at ease, the things you most want, inhabit you. Maybe allow them to, maybe just let your self be, and then be present for yourself in the same way that you are present for others.

Melanie from Austin Zen Center said...

The thoughts, texts, stories, and photos you weave together to create this connection to the "mother ship" of SFZC from your particular perspective is one I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate. Thank you, Shundo. May you experience the peace of which you speak. Happy new year!

Sandy's witterings said...

Thanks for letting us in on your reflections Shundo, and your excellent photography for another year.
I hope 2012 is good to you.

Shundo said...

Thank you all for your comments. Shannon, that is the kind of shift I was envisaging.

Kelly said...

And remember, Shundo, that 2012 *is* thet official year to visit Austin ;)

Hoping that a couple days without posts means you're finding time to nourish these other parts of your life.

Shundo said...

Hey Kelly, nice to hear from you. Read the latest post to find out what I have been doing instead of posting.
I hope you are finding your feet.