Monday, November 7, 2011

Dark Matter

The rain did come on Thursday to usher us into the end of Daylight Savings Time (what we somewhat optimistically call British Summer Time back home). On Friday morning it was almost competely dark until breakfast, and Saturday evening brought the full sodden storminess of winter. In a moment of idleness recently, I read again what I wrote at this time last year - and indeed on Friday I sat in the zendo with my hands wrapped in my sleeves, listening to the click and clank of the heating pipes. Happily the rain moved on; this morning the zendo was growing lighter during second period, and the sun shone into the dining room for breakfast. By the time I came down for zazen this afternoon however, I had already closed up the kaisando and turned on the hallway lights; the zendo was gloomy and I encouraged the doan to turn up the lights, as the gentle morning penumbra doesn't seem appropriate for the afternoon, though the gathering dark outside always makes for more intimate sitting.
It occurred to me that we do ceremonies to mark the solstices and equinoxes, but the days that the clocks go forward or back are much more notable in their impact on our lives, especially ones as closely time-tabled as those we live here.
The sky on Friday morning
Sunday morning


7 comments:

Chris van Loben Sels said...

Reminds me of taking Paul's class on the paramitas years ago and the time change happened and we had a fun side conversation about which time had more suchness ;)

Shundo said...

It's all relative Chris - at least I think Einstein was agreeing with Dogen on that (and Dr who agrees with both of them - there was a lovely reference to time being 'a timey-wimey, wibbly-wobbly kind of thing', as I recall).

Chris van Loben Sels said...

Dogen, the Doctor, and Einstein together at last . . . love it!

Shundo said...

The three kings of time...

HLH said...

What a striking photo of the sunrise on Friday. Being able to see that is like being gifted one of the early bird's worms. I hesitate to write it, but here it goes anyway . . . delicious.

Mark the calendar: Tour of CA: May 13-20th. Heather

Shundo said...

The sky has been naturally awesome this past month or so, Unknown Heather. And yes, I have seen the route plan already. I hope to get to see some of it close up again.

HLH said...

Come May, should any field trips form to see local stages, I'd be glad to let you know.

Incidentally, Unknown it seems is quiet an uncommon middle name;) Cheers.