Friday, July 23, 2010

Upcoming events

There are several things coming up that are currently occupying my time. First of all, a one-day sitting tomorrow. Since it is a recent addition to the Zen Center calendar, it is moderate-sized rather than big and crowded, but it still requires a certain amount of logistical work in terms of finalising the names of participants, and giving them all jobs and seats. A lot of paper gets generated in all this, so I tend to leave the printing until it is late enough in the day that people are unlikely to change their plans, though of course things always happen...
On Sunday I go down to Tassajara for a few days, and I can definitely say that I am looking forward to this. I have been asked to take photographs of various places and events, so I might post some of the better ones here afterwards, as this has been quite bereft of photographs of late. I know they are having their Full Moon Ceremony there on Sunday night, which will be wonderful, although doing all those prostrations in full robes on a hot evening is also going to generate quite a lot of sweat.
When I get back, it will be time to start focusing on the Genzo-e sesshin, which I am also looking forward to tremendously. I have done several of them over the years, and they have been among my favourite sesshin experiences, with a unique combination of plentiful sitting and in-depth study. I was thus also very excited to see, when I got back from England, that there was a new book by Shohaku Okamura about the Genjo Koan, which I will take down to Tassajara, and hope to have time to read to help get me in the mood.
Incidentally, I was sitting with the Abbot at lunch, on the rock in the courtyard, which happens from time to time, and the conversation somehow turned to kensho - I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember how, but it wasn't one of those heavy 'zen' conversations (later  - I remember that it was via Kapleau Roshi and 'The Three Pillars of Zen'). I mentioned the book on Hakuin, and also referred to the questions that I wrote about it my last entry. 'But of course you don't read my blog' I said to Paul, whereupon he admitted that he didn't even know that I was writing one. Self-promotion has never been my strong point, but it may be now that I have at least one new reader, and I am sure I will hear about it if I say anything that runs contrary to the true teaching...

No comments: